Tips to follow for doing content marketing correctly
As the number of sellers selling different products in the market has increased, consumers has a much bigger group to select from. This has led to an increase in the power of consumers in the buying cycle. So in present scenario, seller cannot just sell the product to the consumer. Instead he needs to convince the consumer to buy his product. This made the sellers to think of some new marketing strategies. Thus the concept of content marketing was born.
So what exactly is content marketing?
Content marketing is a new strategic marketing technique aimed at the generation and sharing of high quality content for attracting customers for your product. CMI defines as content as something which is valuable, relevant and consistent.
What is CMI? CMI stands for Content Management Institute.
Through content marketing, sellers mold consumer’s behaviour and instil in them a liking towards the company’s product.
In today’s marketing scenario content is the backbone of all marketing campaigns. It’s rightly said, “Content is the king”. 86% of the businesses today use content marketing. But doing content marketing in the right way is very critical for its success.
How to do content marketing in the right way:
• Identify your customers.
• Try to understand their needs and problems. Create content to address those. Make sure the content is relevant, valuable and targeted to the audience.
• A wide variety of methods can be used to distribute content to the target audience. Videos, blogs, podcasts, social media, print magazines, eBooks, whitepapers, online courses are few of them.
• Content can be provided in two ways – gated form and non gated form.
What are gated and non-gated content?
If the user needs to provide certain information like mail id, Name, Contact Number, Address etc to access the content, it’s a gated content.
Mostly gated contents ask only for mail id. More information can be asked depending on the value of content. Contents like blogs which do not ask for any information to grant access are non-gated contents.
• So use your non gated content to create interest in the reader about your company, so that he will be ready to provide information for the gated contents. For high value content you can ask more information other than the mail id.
• Now you have generated your leads. But it’s not over here. Once you have the contacts you can send them more valuable content through mails. This is the process of lead nurturing and conversion. Keeping your leads occupied with content is an important part of content marketing.
• In return for the quality content provided, finally the consumer would reward the company with business.
• Customer satisfaction leads to customer retention and a positive word of mouth.
Long and short term content for content marketing
Contents can be of two main types:
a) Short term content like blogs
b) Long term content like case studies, whitepapers etc
Long term contents though would cost high could generate more leads in a less time as these can be gated while short term contents like blogs generate leads over a longer span of time.
A proper content marketing strategy has to be made for the distribution of a right mixture of long term and short term, gated and non gated contents with quality that attracts leads. Generation of qualified leads are more important than getting just leads.
Difference between a Lead and a Qualified Lead: A lead is someone who is interested in your product while a qualified lead is someone who also has the need and money to buy the product.
Why to do content marketing?
• It’s a way to do inbound marketing which is more effective than outbound marketing.
• Helps in building relationships with customers as they would appreciate you for the value they received.
• Helps in lead generation by getting more subscribers to your blog.
• Fosters a better understanding and trust between the company and the acquired consumers.
• It betters your site’s search engine rankings.
• Helps in roping in loyal customers which could spread word of mouth.
• Helps in Up selling and cross selling.
• It’s the need of the hour.
Difference between Inbound and Outbound marketing: Inbound marketing is the act of pulling customers towards the company using quality contents while outbound marketing is pushing the products to consumers through traditional marketing methods.
Content marketing is becoming more and more relevant each day. Instead of directly pitching the product, companies should try to connect with people and grab their attention through quality content. In this start up era, when a large number of companies are fighting among each other for existence, wisely investing in content marketing is of prime importance.